In just a couple of days we will be halfway through the year! I can't believe time moves this fast...or maybe I am just moving slower? I am anxious for the summer to kick in here in the Pacific Northwest - we had a few great days at the beginning of June, but the last couple of weeks have been overcast, peeks of sunshine and RAIN!
What I have been sewing:
* In June I had blast attending a Jeans Making Workshop, taught by Lauren Taylor aka Lladybird, sponsored by Josephine's Dry Goods. I had never attempted jeans before, but Lauren made it SO possible. I did have to work through my issues of wanting to tear out and re-do some topstitching - Lauren forbid the use of our seam ripper without her "permission"! The first pair are NOT meant to be “perfect” - still struggling with that one Lauren!
I can say, this will NOT be my last pair of jeans. By breaking each step down into smaller pieces it made the process totally doable. Lessons learned for the next pair - less contrast in my topstitch thread, look at some of my RTW for rivet placement, and take a bit of extra time to sew some fun design on the back pockets.
Take a peek at the finished project:
Coming up in July:
* July 13, 2019 is the second annual Portland Frocktails! Sewing Studio is, once again, a sponsor of this fun event! If you are local, or want to travel to Portland in July, grab your tickets now! Tickets are $50 each, which includes snacks, beverages, AMAZING swag bags, pattern swap, and photo opportunities with some new sewing friends.
Fun Photo from last year:
* The following weekend, an Instagram friend is coming to Portland with her family. Truth is they are not coming JUST to visit me, but rather as a jump off spot for a family road trip.
* This same Instagram friend has asked me to be a sponsor for a fun Sewing Challenge that will take place the entire month of July! You need to jump onto Instagram and check it out - #fashionfeelsfabulous. The sponsors are #Victorialucilleanne, #thestitichedit and #untitledthoughts you will want to follow all three; watch the hashtag; post your photos and be prepared to win some pretty amazing prizes. (including gift certificates from Sewing Studio)
New in the Studio:
* There is a LOT of new fabric in the Studio, in fact I am bursting at the seams (pun intended) with new fabric. Watch the "NEW" section on the website, each week I am adding a few more new fabrics as well as highlighting on the @pdxsewingstudio Instagram posts. I still have orders placed that have not arrived, so chances are good you will find new fabrics each week. If you have not been keeping up, here is the link to the "NEW" section to see what has been added in the past month - some have already sold out! New Fabrics
* If you have not yet seen the new Closet Case Patterns - Rome Collection, you will want to check them out! These three wardrobe pieces are created for beginning sewers, with variations for each of the pieces adding different style elements. There is the Cielo Top & Dress, the Pietra Pants & Shorts and my favorite the Fiore Skirt which has three very different variations. We are stocking the paper patterns, or if you prefer PDF Patterns they are available on the Closet Case Patterns website - Closet Case PDF Patterns.
As you can see this little “Side Hustle” has been keeping me on my toes. I still love all your emails and questions looking for fabric ideas or suggestions. Getting new fabric is like Christmas morning for me - I no longer need an excuse to buy more fabric!
Please share your makes with our fabric - it brings me so much joy! Your creativity is endless!
Until next time -