Handmade holidays are always what I dream of...the time seems to creep up and I find myself in a FRANTIC state and don't get everything done that I had imagined. So I am pledging to get started NOW and not add extra stress to holiday giving!
There are many on my holiday gift list are not in need of "things", but I still want them to know how special they are by sharing a handmade treasure to show them how much they mean to me. I am also a practical person, so my gifts often need to have a purpose.
In the past I have shared some fun (and easy ideas), so some of these are repeats...and I have found a few new ideas for this season.
Let's Get Started.....
* Costa Tote - This is a free pattern from Helen's Closet Patterns. A quick sew, the Costa is perfect for using when running errands, shopping at the farmer's market, or going on a weekend adventure. The Costa features an asymmetrical pocket for your keys, phone or sunglasses, or the pocket-less version. Use fabric in your stash or grab some Denim or Twill . Easy to carry, wash and you can use with the pockets on the inside or outside. Here's the link for the Pattern: Costa Tote. Perfect for friends, co-workers , or a family member.
* Linen Napkins - Special occasion or use these everyday. Use your favorite colored linen to match your dinner table. Here are some Linen selections Sew up the napkins for gifts that will impress, use a fun holiday inspired decorative stitch around the edge with contrasting thread. Here is a link for some great instructions from Pearl Soho: Classic Mitered Corner Napkins , but let your creativity flow and embellish with hand painting, decorative hand embroidery, or block printing. Linen napkins are a treat that most of us won't buy for ourselves - so give these to anyone that loves those extra special items.
* Workhorse Patterns - The Sewcialists Beanie - Beanies are such a smart trend, they not only keep your noggin warm, but they can add a style statement with fun color mixing and matching knits. This is a beginner friendly free pattern - stash bust using four 12" X 12" scraps of knit fabric with 25% stretch, or more. You may also love this in one of our Merino Wool Knits, or a soft Bamboo knit either are a perfect pairing. This will be a favorite gift for your nieces and nephews, outdoor enthusiast friends, or sew a few to donate to shelter in your area. Link to this free pattern from Becky at Workhorse Patterns: The Sewcialists Beanie
* Hey June Handmade - Allspice Apron This is another free pattern for a crossover full-length apron with a front pocket. Perfect for the Linen in your stash, but certainly any woven fabric would be wonderful . Add some yummy home baked cookies, a new kitchen tool to make this apron extra special. Anyone that loves to cook or BBQ will appreciate this gift! Brothers, husband, dad....
* Do you have a close friend or sister on your list? Grab all your super soft knits and sew them up a drawer full of new Panties! The Acacia Underwear Pattern is free if you sign up for the Megan Nielsen Patterns newsletter (and why would you not want to?) These low rise bikini cut underwear feature a gusset with fully enclosed seams, comfortable fits and ample coverage. Perfect for beginners to learn a few new skills and experienced sewers to whip up a few pair quickly.
* Zipper Bags may seem too simple, but fill them with fun lip balms, fancy candies, or sewing notions and they will be a hit - promise. The 7 minute DIY Zipper Bag by Elizabeth Made this is perfect for scrap busting!
Easy to sew and practical for everyone! There is even a video if you want to see a tutorial before you launch into this project. These fun bags are perfect for a teacher, neighbor, co-worker or pet sitter.
*If Zippers are not your thing...how about a sew of Drawstring Bags? A simple drawstring bag can hold a wide range of things, use as a custom gift wrap, carry your jewelry or cords when traveling, or just a place to keep your little bits organized! This is another wonderful scrap buster - Linen, Cotton, Canvas, or even a light weight twill or denim! Make a custom set in matching colors, or mix and match fun fabrics! These are perfect for almost anyone on your holiday list - we all love to be organized! Check out this free pattern from Purl Soho and get started: Drawstring Bags. Anyone that loves to keep things organized will love these fun bags - especially a traveler, or a hiker/camper.
* Do you have someone extra special that you want to treat this year? How about a handmade quilt they can wrap up
in for years to come? The Simple Stripes Quilt designed by Strawberry Creek Quilts can be made with scraps from your stash, two solid colors for their favorite sports team, or simply colors that add a touch of calmness. This is a beginner friendly quilt that you can knock out in short order, but will live on for many years.
* Lastly, who on your list would not love some new pajamas? We have all been wearing more comfy clothes, most of us dream of a day we can stay in our pajamas all day long…and with a dreamy new pair, maybe that can happen! Here are a ideas to help you find the best style for anyone on your gift list: Carolyn Pajamas are a fun set that can be made from a cozy flannel or dress them up with a slinky silk, if you want something a bit skimpy for warmer weather consider the Lakeside Pajamas in a breathable cotton or linen, for the men on your list the Eastwood Pajamas are perfect in any woven, or maybe your idea of cozy is a pair of joggers and what is better than the Hudson Pants? Sew up a few in fleece, French terry or a cotton knit. With everyone comfy and relaxed, you might find it is the perfect time for some Hot Coco and a family puzzle night!
These are just a few fun and easy projects to get a jump start sewing. Most of you will have the fabric needs in your stash and not even need to spend much more than a little time to make everyone on your list glow with happiness.
Thank you for your support of this Small Business during 2021, we appreciate your loyalty. Wishing you and your family the very best holiday season!